What’s for dinner? A question I am asked many times a day. Sometimes many times in a single hour. There are days that I know in advance what I will be making, other days I just wing it and see what happens. Today I decided to wing it. I had chicken in the freezer and decided it seems like a fried chicken kind of night. My family goes crazy for this chicken. It does take a little bit of time and gets messy but it is so worth it!
You will need:
4 bone in skin on chicken breasts
4 chicken thighs
I have used boneless skinless chicken before and it tastes great but doesn’t have the same crispy crunchy texture as skin on chicken.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp parika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic salt
2 cups buttermilk ( no buttermilk no problem. Use one cup of milk and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes and you have yourself home made buttermilk.)
4 cups canola or vegetable oil
1. Marinate chicken in buttermilk, paprika, and salt for 1 hour or up to two days. Cover and refrigerate
2. Heat your oil to 350 F. If you do not have a thermometer use a pinch of flour to test. If the flour sizzles when dropped in the oil then you are good to go.
3. Combine the flour and garlic salt. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture. I like to use tupperware to toss the chicken to contain some of the mess. Shake off the excess.
4. Add chicken to hot oil. Cook 10 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
5. Drain chicken on a cooling rack over a paper towel to catch grease.
This chicken is delicious! Juicy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. We like to cover ours in honey for a bit of extra sweetness. Enjoy!!!