I have been informed that the link to Cooking for keeps did not work so no one has been able to partake in “the best spaghetti and meatballs there ever was”. I have posted the recipe below. Enjoy!!!
My Mother’s Spaghetti and Meatballs aka The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs in the World
Author: Nicole-Cooking for Keeps
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Italian sausage links, removed from casing
- 1 egg
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs (crushed by hand)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ onion, finely diced
- ½ onion, grated
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ green pepper sliced thin
- ½ onion sliced thin
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cans water, plus more if needed (tomato paste can)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Using your hands combine, ground beef, egg, cracker crumbs, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, diced onion, grated onion, garlic and Parmesan. Form into 9-10 meatballs. In a large skillet, heat ⅛ – ¼ cup olive over a medium-high heat. Brown meatballs on all sides, remove from skillet.
- Add in sliced onion and pepper, cook for two to three minutes. De glaze pan with red wine, scraping up brown bits as you go. Add in water, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and garlic powder. Stir. Add meatballs back into the sauce and simmer for 30 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened. If needed add more water. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- While the sauce is simmering bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Add a small handful of kosher salt. Cook spaghetti until al dente.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
Recipe by Cooking for Keeps at http://www.cookingforkeeps.com/2013/10/17/spaghetti-and-meatballs/