Bird Seed Wreath Tutorial


The birds that usually frequent my bird feeders have gone hungry for the last month or so. The two feet of snow in my front yard and my inability to get into my garage where the bird seed is kept has meant empty feeders.

In December I made bird seed wreaths so I wouldn’t have to go out and feed them as often.

I think it might be time to hit the pet store to pick up some bird seed so I can make them again.

The wreaths lasted for about a week, even in wet weather.

What you need:

bundt pan

cooking spray

4 1/2 cups of bird seed

3/4 cup of flour

4 tbsp. corn syrup

1 package of gelatin

1/2 cup warm water

Start by sprinkling the gelatin on top of the water.. Let it stand for a few minutes while it blooms.

In a separate bowl mix the flour and corn syrup.


Add in your bird seed and gelatin mixture.

Stir until combined.


Spray the inside of your bundt pan.

Scoop your seed mix into the pan and press down so it compacts. Smooth out with the back of a spoon that has been sprayed with cooking oil.

Let it harden for at least 30 minutes before you attempt to remove it from the pan.

I turned mine out on to wax paper.


Let harden for 24 hours.

Add a pretty ribbon and you are all set to hang it outside.


The birds loved them.

This recipe makes one wreath. I tried using it to make two but the wreaths were so thin they just crumbled.

Before Christmas I had the kids make some for their grandparents. We had quite the assembly line going.

The recipe is easily doubled and simple enough that my kids could make them on their own.







Master Bedroom Re do Part 2



You may remember that shortly before Christmas I had posted about wanting to finish off our master bedroom.

It was still blue and it felt very cold and unwelcoming.

I had hoped to have it finished before Christmas but as usual life got in the way and we didn’t end up finishing it until last week.

This is what our room looked like a few months ago

Here is what it looks like now

It’s amazing what a coat of paint can do for a room. We use Benjamin Moore’s Collectors Item

collectors item

It is a soft cream that takes on a bit of a pinkish hue depending on the amount of sunlight in the room.

I find change terrifying so as soon as Chris started painting I had immediate regret.


I do not feel that way anymore!

Our room feels so relaxing and bright. I really love it.

Chris took care of painting the room because I am no longer allowed to paint. I have no patience and end up splattering paint every where so aside from helping with the headboard my only contribution was to paint the light fixture.

This is what it originally looked like


I initially decided to paint it Mother of Pearl but it was incredibly sheer. After the first coat I knew that I could either waste my time doing coat after coat or I could paint it an opaque colour and put the mother of pearl colour over top.

IMG_2014 IMG_2018

For the opaque colour I used Martha Stewart multi surface craft paint in Putty.

putty pmep-mother-of-pearl

I used two coats of the putty colour on the  inside and outside of the shade and two coats of the mother of pearl just on the outside.


All we need now is new closet doors which will come in the spring.

I am so happy that our room no longer feels like a dreary pit. So happy that it has made me want to tackle our upstairs bathroom. By me I mean Chris, and by tackle I mean painting and installing a new floor and vanity. Stay tuned for an upcoming post on our bathroom re do.